Change the way you see the world.
Experience the inner workings of government firsthand.
Join the YMCA of Southeast Texas Youth & Government club through your school or local YMCA, and you can take on the role of…
Senator or Representative – write your own bill, speak your mind on current events, run for office, and vote for officers.
Attorney – argue cases before your peers.
Lobbyist – train in the process of influencing legislation.
Press member – daily newspaper, conference video broadcast, online blog… pick your favorite and go for it.
It all culminates with the four-day YMCA Youth Legislature Conference in AUSTIN. You participate in a conference led by other teens elected to office by their peers, take part in debate, and vote on the bills that fellow delegates write and present. Walk away with improved research and communication skills. Don’t let this opportunity pass you by.
To develop young men and women who will be better citizens by being both knowledgeable and active in determining the future of our democracy.
- To provide training and experience in understanding the legislative process
- To develop critical thinking and analytical abilities
- To provide active participation in the legislative process
- To develop interpersonal communication skills
- To provide awareness of social issues and their possible solutions
- To provide opportunities to hear and respect varying viewpoints
- To encourage active participation in political and public affairs
- Leadership training
- Public speaking and critical writing workshops
- Community activism, civic engagement, and applying political leverage
- Academic enhancement through the development of research, reading, and writing skills
For more information, contact:
Teen Program Coordinator
(409) 962-6644, ext 210