The world is 71% water
Your children are 100% curious
The Y is the starting point for many youth to learn about becoming and staying active, and developing healthy habits they’ll carry with them throughout their lives. And the benefits are far greater than just physical health. Whether it’s gaining the confidence that comes from learning to swim or building the positive relationships that lead to good sportsmanship and teamwork in sports, participants will strengthen values, improve relationships, appreciate diversity, develop leadership skills and have fun.
The Y believes every child should have the skills to safely enjoy the water.
The Y offers a wide range of swimming options for the whole family. Swimming builds self-confidence and develops the whole person - spirit, mind and body. Swimming is not only great exercise and a challenging sport, but it is a life skill. We pride ourselves on our commitment to water safety. We assess you or your child's swimming abilities, ensuring that each participant is placed in an appropriate class. We insist on lifeguard supervision at all times. Trained instructors emphasize personal safety, swimming skills, endurance and social skills while guiding students with praise and encouragement.
Parent-Child classes are taught as a combined class in the summer for ages 6 to 36 months with the parent accompanying the child in the water. Skills are introduced at the child's development level and build on each other as the child progresses. Basic water skills are taught through fun songs and games. Ratio 1:10
Preschool classes are for ages 3-5. Participants will be evaluated and divided by skill level on the first day of class. Ratio 1:6
Youth classes are for ages 6-13 years of age. Participants will be evaluated and divided by skill level on the first day of class. Ratio 1:8
Things to Remember:
- Proper bathing suit attire is required.
- All pool rules apply.
- A swim diaper with elastic around the legs and waist must be worn by participants who are not potty trained.
- Parents are invited to watch the class, but are asked not to interrupt the class. Any questions should be handled prior to or after the class.
Spring Swim Lessons
- Classes are held Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday for four weeks.
- Classes must contain a least three registrants to take place.
- Fridays are reserved for rainy day make ups (the YMCA only guarantees 6 classes per session).
- Registration closes the Thursday prior to the start of the next session.
- Refunds will not be provided after the start of the session.
Spring Swim Lesson Information:
- March 27 - April 21
- May 1 - May 26
- Preschool - (ages 3-5)
Youth - (ages 6-13)
- 100% participation in the Y Lifeguard course
- Must score 80% or higher on each section of the YMCA Lifeguard test
- Must score 80% or higher on the CPR PRO, First Aid, and Emergency Oxygen written tests
- Successfully perform all practical skills
- Successfully demonstrate the ability to prevent, recognize, activate emergency action plan, rescue, provide emergency care and complete reports
- Successfully demonstrate strength and maturity to be a YMCA Lifeguard to prevent accidents and also respond to emergencies through classroom and pool scenarios
- Participant must be 16 years of age by the end of the class to participate
Certifications upon completion
- Y Lifeguard (valid for two years when all other certifications remain current)
- American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI)
- CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer (valid for 1 year)
- First Aid (valid for 2 years)
- Emergency Oxygen Administration (valid for 2 years)
The participants will receive an electronic copy of the ASHI books, breakaway lanyard, and whistle.
This class is free if you go to work at the Y.
Members - $150
Non-Members - $200
Private Swim Lessons
Private lessons are ideal for apprehensive swimmers or those with specific needs. Lessons are scheduled by appointment only. Sessions consist of four lessons lasting 45 minutes each. Days and times are scheduled around your requested time and instructor availability.
Members - $80
Non-Members - $100